Living in a sabbatical mindset means allowing yourself to rest. That doesn’t mean that you need to take a full-on sabbatical. It just means you regularly let yourself pause and recover from the activities, emotions, and experiences of life.
For some people, “regularly” means once a week; for others, it is daily. Whatever the cadence, it is a time of rest. But what is rest, anyway?
Let’s Define Rest
- Rest is allowing yourself to take it ease after any type of labor or exertion.
- Rest is relief from anything that causes worries or disturbances.
- Rest is a time of inactivity, solitude, or tranquility.
- Rest is experiencing mental, emotional, or spiritual calm.
- Rest is an interval of silence.
- Rest is a short pause.
- Rest is the act of refreshing oneself.
Identifying the Type of Rest You Need
The wonderful news is that YOU get to decide how YOU rest. The point is: to rest is to stop for a reprieve. Identifying your current state will help you decide the type of rest which is necessary.
Are you empty? Are you trying to be filled by the next accomplishment in your career? Do you fill your calendar with activities because it’s too hard to sit still? Have you been longing for a change, but you don’t know what change is necessary?
- It may be helpful to find ways to experience mental, emotional, or spiritual calm.
Are you burned out? Do you still have several things on your to-do list, but you just don’t have the energy to get them done? When you are asked to spend time with a friend, do you decline even though you want to get together? What is holding you back from spending energy on the activities you enjoy in life?
- You may benefit from a time of inactivity, solitude, or tranquility.
Are you running on fumes? Have you been so busy taking care of others that you have neglected taking care of yourself? When was the last time you let yourself take a break to just sit and be? How could you show up differently in your life if you could re-charge?
- Self-care and spending time in refreshing activities may be what you need.
Are you tired? What does rest look life for you? During the day, when could you allow yourself 2 minutes to yourself to just breathe? Are you ready to live your life with intention?
- Allowing yourself to take it ease and just BE for a while could be the answer.
Are you off the path? Have you lost connection to the Light that once helped you? Do you wish you could slow down to re-center your mind-body-spirit? When will you let yourself pause?
- Taking time in silence to quiet your mind and search for connection may help you to re-center.
If you are struggling to find the rest you need, reach out to me and I’d love to discuss how I can help you develop a sabbatical mindset. Through Sabbatical Vibrations Retreats, I offer different mini-retreats to help you with mindful living. I also offer 1:1 coaching for individuals looking to dive deeper into living with a sabbatical mindset.